May 26, 2010

Virtual Loft: Old Bird Shipping Night

To find out a little more about the Pigeon World, I attended an Old Bird Shipping Night a few weeks ago.
  
I arrived early, around 6:30 pm on a Friday Night.  Friday is when the birds are shipped out, depending on the weather.  Nick, my liasion into this unique subculture had me help him carry in his pigeons.  I cringed as I forgot to wear my grubby clothes.  I breathed a sigh of relief as I saw the bottoms were covered and no chance of pigeon poop making onto my clothes.  The baskets were not that heavy, but kind of awkward if you never carried one before.  They come in various styles:


This by far was the most popular model of carrier.  With wooden dowels at the top, and mesh side that allow for optimum ventilation, it's favoured by both pigeon and racer alike.
This similar model below was also popular, although the ventilation was not as great.

This model on the chair, is made from Aluminum.  It was not as common as other models.  To me it kind of looked like a 'paddy wagon' for birds.
I looked, but there was no 'Brinks' logo ;)

As the pigeons came in they would set the baskets down on chairs, like the one above.  Nick, meanwhile, set up the equipment that would register the birds in the race near the back of the clubhouse.




The Instrument below on the left is used for registering the birds.  The one on the right records the information.
After the birds are registered, they are loaded into a basket.  Which one depends on their gender, or what race they are flying in.


Next the birds carried out to the trucks waiting outside.

When the trucks were all loaded up they would travel to the 401 to meet a transport that was meeting other trucks from other clubs in the Combine.  Birds are usually raced Saturday morning, except in cases of inclement weather.  However, the day could be different, depending on the Club.


Coming Soon:  Waiting for the Birds to Come Home, and going to a Clock Off to find out the winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pigeon Web Ring

Powered by WebRing.